[Midnightbsd-mports] How to prevent the automatic use of cached installed packages with old dependencies?

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Tue May 20 17:14:14 EDT 2008

> The issue of implied updating when a depend is updated is tricky.
> Portupgrade avoids this issue by upgrading up and down the depends
> tree, libmport will probably do the same thing (unless research into
> the topic provides a more elegant approach).  Luke hit the nail of the
> head though, unless PORTREVISIONs are always bumped correctly
> (something that _every_ port maintainer gets wrong from time to time)
> the ports tree has no way of knowing if a cached package is valid or
> not.  We've meandered into the BSD equivalent of
> DLL hell with the shared library versions.
>
> In the future this problem will be much better, you may even be able
> to `cd /usr/mports; make upgrade` and have it "just work."  The
> improved update facilities, along with better tools for port
> maintainers should improve the situation.
>
> Meanwhile, cached installs may be a neat idea that doesn't quite work
> right.  It's an odd intersection of the package and ports world, and
> it often makes things worse rather than better.  Perhaps `make clean`
> should delete the package from the package dir as well?

The other option is to add a second clean target that also deletes the
packages.

Another thing that might be nice is a script a port maintainer could
run that checks the tree for libdepends that reference a given port
and bump the PORTREVISION.

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com
MidnightBSD.org (Free OS)