[Midnightbsd-users] Use of .Mx mdoc macro, and MirPorts on MidnightBSD (was Re: CVS: herc.mirbsd.org: ports)

Thorsten Glaser tg at mirbsd.de
Wed Mar 12 20:44:08 EDT 2008

Hi laffer1!


>Commit ID:	10047D8759858E7F349

>Log message:
>new cksum mostly due to the manpage change: the manpages used the .Mx macro
>which is non-standard _and_ in use by both MirBSD and MidnightBSD
>it’s only allowed to use .Mx in a portable MirSubproject if we prepend the
>new contrib/samples/portmdoc,v file (which also defines $Mdocdate etc.)

This means that both mbsd and mnbsd can continue to use .Mx, as long
as the respective manual pages that use it are prefixed with a macro
definition. (This is necessary for all other operating systems, like
GNU, too, since GNU groff doesn’t come with a Mx macro defined. Only
manpages which have a chance to be distributed, like mksh’s, but not
the “normal” system manuals, need to be touched.)

Sample change: http://www.mirbsd.org/cvs.cgi/src/usr.bin/make/make.1.diff?r1=1.10;r2=1.11

That diff not only defines .Mx to the mbsd variant (you guys will of
course have to change that for mnbsd) but also declares a few macros
I found useful when fixing lintian’s complaints and “gnroff -Tutf8”.

A sample application is at http://www.mirbsd.org/cvs.cgi/src/bin/md5/cksum.1.diff?r1=1.18;r2=1.19
but all you’d need to place in mnbsd manpages would be the part from
“.de Mx” to the closing “..”.

So no need to act for you ☺

On a related remark, I’ve built few apps on stargazer using mirports
already, but GNU libiconv failed _because_ mnbsd was faked as fbsd –
I’ll make that into something your users can download and play with,
tomorrow though since it’s past midnight here already.

I believe no one can invent an algorithm. One just happens to hit upon it
when God enlightens him. Or only God invents algorithms, we merely copy them.
If you don't believe in God, just consider God as Nature if you won't deny
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt

More information about the Midnightbsd-users mailing list