[Midnightbsd-users] BSDstats: New High Water Mark: 25 000+ Hosts Reporting In

Wilko Bulte wb at freebie.xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 4 03:31:57 EST 2008

Quoting Don Witt, who wrote on Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 03:12:46PM -0800 ..
> This is very cool.  What is up with NetBSD and OpenBSD.  Are these numbers
> accurate?

They are not not at all accurate.  What is being measured for FreeBSD e.g. is the willingness
of people to do

<quote>
 For FreeBSD users, you just need to install /usr/ports/sysutils/bsdstats to
 set things up.
</quote>

That has no relation with the total installed base of FreeBSD.  And then there
is of course the issue of corporations who do run *BSD but do not allow this kind
of information to go out into the world?

The other BSD derivatives are suffering from the same statistical problems.

So, accurate, no, not at all.

Wilko