[Midnightbsd-users] BSDstats: New High Water Mark: 25 000+ Hosts Reporting In

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Mon Nov 3 21:01:41 EST 2008

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> As of November 3rd, 2008, the project has hit a new milestone of 25 000+
> hosts reporting in, with a break down as follows:
>
>           PC-BSD           17 454 hosts
>           FreeBSD           5 526 hosts
>           DesktopBSD        1 919 hosts
>           NetBSD               86 hosts
>           MirBSD               21 hosts
>           OpenBSD              55 hosts
>           DragonFly            26 hosts
>           MidnightBSD          26 hosts
>           GNU/kFreeBSD          2 hosts
>
> We currently have hosts being reported in from 135 countries, with the
> top 10
> being:
>
>           United States           6 082
>           Russian Federation      1 836
>           Germany                 1 586
>           Australia               1 341
>           Ukraine                   997
>           France                    930
>           Japan                     898
>           United Kingdom            791
>           Canada                    767
>           Brazil                    729
>
> Project URL: http://www.bsdstats.org
>
> Project Objective:
>
> "The mission of this site is to compile semi-accurate numbers for
> advocacy and
> marketing of the *BSD operating systems."
>

> PC-BSD, to the best of our knowledge, is the only one that defaults to
> enabled, while the rest have to be enabled manually.
>
> For FreeBSD users, you just need to install /usr/ports/sysutils/bsdstats
> to set things up.
>
> If you aren't participating, we very much encourage you to start ... the
> report script is a shell script, so you can scan it to figure out what,
> exactly, is being sent in .. and there is only one level of reporting
> that is  required, and that is Operating System + Version ... Device and
> Ports reporting are 100% optional ...
>
> For those that are participating ... once more, thank you ... and spread
> the
> word, we need more ...
>

> If you have any questions, please feel free to email me ...

###########

Aloha,

I have 10 FreeBSD servers and desktops in use here in Hawaii.

These are not on the list as I only have 4 servers that are up 24/7 and
they are fire walled off with pf.

The 6 others are on a lan behind a Linux Freesco Firewall. Only 2 on
24/7 the rest are on an as used boot up basis.

How can I get them Listed?

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* - 8.* +
   < email: noc at hdk5.net >